Thanks for stopping by. Please make yourself at home! I’d offer you a coffee or a drink if there wasn’t this computer screen between us.
My name is Dylan and this is my new blog The Millenial Merchant. I’m a 24-year old Newfoundlander currently living in Ottawa, Canada. I’ll try to keep my posts as interesting as possible for you. I hope you will be able to take something of value away from my content.
You can expect this blog to focus primarily on the following umbrella topics:
- And whatever other inspiring subjects pop into my head
I’ll make an effort to be funny and casual. I’m going to try to post every day or every other day. If I miss a day or two though, please don’t abandon me – life gets busy sometimes and priorities can shift. I’m in this for the long haul and I’d be humbled if you bookmarked my blog to check in from time to time.
There are a number of reasons why I started this blog.
Before listing those reasons, maybe I should start by introducing myself to provide some context.
To make a long story short, I’m a chemical engineer by education, a musician and creative type at heart, and an entrepreneur as of late. I’m extremely passionate about entrepreneurship.
I’ve recently quit my full-time corporate job in retail marketing/business development to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams on a full-time basis. This was a huge step for me as I’d say I’m a fairly risk-averse, neurotic person. But I actively tweaked my mindset to use fear as a compass and step outside of my comfort zone.
I run a boutique digital marketing agency called ZenRevenue. We’re a new company and we specialize in social media marketing and content marketing for small businesses. We also create websites and e-commerce shops for companies.
So, back to why I decided to start this blog. Here are my reasons:
- As I take the plunge into my full-time entrepreneurial journey, I want an outlet to candidly share updates and learnings publicly. This will keep me accountable and serve as a forcing mechanism to stay organized and disciplined in my business activities.
- I’ll be travelling to India from July 3rd to August 8th. My posts during this time frame will serve to document my travels! It’s going to be an exciting and fun adventure with my girlfriend, Avi, and our friend, Matt. I’ll keep you posted on my culture shock and the wonderful foods and sights I come across!
- To overcome a fear of mine: opening up to the people around me. As this blog is all about self-improvement and overcoming mental barriers, I’d be a hypocrite if I didn’t walk the walk. I tend to avoid sharing my feelings and thoughts with others, and I view this as a self-imposed obstacle. So it’s time for me to get vulnerable and get over this fear of judgment. I will try to be as honest as possible while writing my posts, hopefully this will set the stage for me becoming a less neurotic, cagey person!
- I want to become a better writer. I love writing and I write web content for companies as part of ZenRevenue’s service offering, but one can always improve! So this blog will force me to write every day.
In the long-term, I’m hoping you will be able to learn something from my successes or failures if you choose to follow this blog as an “entrepreneur ride-along”.
I’ll get into the nitty gritty of my operation, systems and tested strategies when I get back to Canada in August and hit the ground running with my business. For now, I’m dialing back on client acquisition as I want to be able to enjoy my India trip stress-free and return to Canada refreshed and ready for business!
Hopefully this intro post provides a clear overview on what you can expect from The Millenial Merchant. Please feel free to leave comments or reach out to me at anytime! I love hearing from my readers and connecting with like-minded entrepreneurs or people seeking fulfillment in their life.